Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Last Laugh of Today

Thanks to William Bailey of Drexel for this gem.

Rename school

Morganton News Herald
Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I thought I had said my last about the name of the new high school, but since we have a new school board committed to the kids rather than their own greed and under the table deals, I will make my final appeal.

Last Friday, I walked up to the gate where the new high school is being built and as I looked at the progress being done I could not help but notice the beautiful mountain view as you look down at the school.

Say what you may about the neighboring industries and wastewater treatment plant, this school is going to be in a beautiful location (the traffic issue will need to be dealt with soon however.)

The comment I made to myself is a school with this type of scenery needs a more appropriate name.

The football stadium would be a great place for the people to honor the memory of Jimmy Draughn, but the kids need to have a name that more fits a high school. I thought of Mountainview High at the moment, but my point is, is it reasonable to revisit the issue of the name of the high school by the new school board, or is this just something we are going to have to live with?

I still get fired up thinking of the political shenanigans the previous school board used to come up with the name. If enough people agree with me, maybe the new board will listen. If anyone shares my views, please let them be heard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(to music) Won't you come-the-hell home, Bill Bailey? Won't you come home? You've been away (from your sanity) soooo long...

And the school system can bill old Bill $12,000 to $15,000 for the new signage. The County can garnish his check until it's paid.

Better still, the idiots who vote for the name change should pay for it out-of-pocket.

Anonymous said...

Bailey just doesn't appreciate the benefits of naming that school for Jimmy C. Draughn. The school has a story behind it, and it now has a real person for kids to emulate. I imagine, however, Bailey will have to stretch himself to spell Mr. Draughn's name. But that's probably a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate naming the schools after a person. That is always a difficult thing to do. You will never please anyone.

Anonymous said...

So the GREED of the previous board was a factor in naming the school after Mr. Draughn? How so? How would ANYONE benefit financially by naming a school after him?

What a jerk!

Anonymous said...

Kiss my rear end....naming a stadium after someone as great a Jimmy C. Draughn. Sounds like people are jealous that that man achieved so much, without ever stabbing anyone in the back or resorting to the type of politics that go on today. There will never be anyone in this current day worthy of having a toilet bowl float named for them so just sit there and do nothing, no good for anyone. Jim Draughn never sat around doing nothing! He helped those who needed help, supported his teachers, loved all the children in Burke County, made the Town of Valdese a more beautiful and pleasant historic place, saved the rock school, helped uncountable people get jobs, etc., etc., and never wanted any credit. So when you do anything but sit on your big ass and blog that's worthwhile, then you can question whether or not that school should be named after him!
Maybe when the school is done, you can scribble your name in a toilet stall.